Sunday 26 June 2011

Sammich time!

Having a childlike sense of humour & vocabulary, I like my title & how cute would it be to find a smiling sandwich on your lunchbox! :)



My quilt sammich has more interesting bread layers than filling, that said I'm really impressed with my quilters dream wadding I got for this after reading hundreds of reviews and recommendations. Its really super soft, but still fairly stretchy, which is a slight worry but will try not to tug it too much & its got a great subtle natural colour that will look great behind the fairly thin ivory backing I'd chosen. (wadding bought here atJB Quilting Fabrics & the backing bought at my local amazing fabric shop, sorry I don't know who it's by, but will post as soon as I do)
I want to do my first quilt purely by hand, so that limited the weight/loft my wadding could have, which is a shame as it's going to be fairly skinny because of this, but still fab :)

We had stuff todo with family staying last night and a visit to a local castle planned for the day, so I wasn't due to get started on the next big stage for a while, but we came home early & I got stuck straight into it (after planning exactly what I needed to do in my head most of the morning)
Yay!!

Living in a lovely little cozy cottage limits floor space, but with a careful reshuffle of furniture & repositioning of my husband watching the formula one, I just had enough space for it.

Starting with the giant base layer, I ironed it and flattened it on the floor, masking taping the corners and edges alternately, smoothing along the way. Wadding next with the same process, being careful not to pull it out of square too much & leaving a small gap for the backing to peek out.
Top next & same again, gently patting down any creases or misbehaving seams. As my quilt isn't a normal shape or size, I kept it on the flattened wadding & backing while it was still uncut & too large for the top.
Pinning next with bent safety pins, starting from the middle, to equal quarters and then the edges. To make it easier to know where to quilt, I put a horizontal pin to mark the middle if my quilt flowers.

Ta Da!


After trimming the top wadding and backing it was free and feeling like a proper quilt (eek!)


I'm properly knackered now, back aching and fingers sore, but happy it's one big stage forward :)

Next!!

No comments:

Post a Comment