Monday 15 August 2011

Mr quilty is on the home stretch!

All the quilting is done.

The edges of the wadding and backing were carefully trimmed to the shape of the new hexie edge (with the help of a few late night TV sessions)
I’ve sewn all the edging hexies on to the main body, remembering to reverse them rather than add them to the main section, so I can fold them over to make the hexie binding a la badskirt.
I’ve made the corner flower and label (newly embroidered for the occasion, the one I did 2nd time round was much nicer using a small running stitch rather than a weird loop lazy daisy type stitch) and that’s been stitched on with the binding edging.

All the pins were removed and the whole thing was ironed front and back yesterday, so we’re on the home stretch now!

I think it looks fab so far and once it’s all sewn around the edging it will feel a bit more secure and less flimsy I think. Still a whole lot of work that I dived straight into without any idea that I’ll only be on this stage nearly 11 months later! I thought it’d be done by last Christmas! Worked out it will have taken me around 550-600 hours! God knows at what cost, but considering some handmade quilts are going for around £200 on etsy, that’s not much of an hourly rate, let alone the cost for the materials…

I think it will be living on the spare bed for a while as it won’t get ruined, fluffy or picked by pusskins. I’m a little worried about it getting stuff spilt on it, or even washing it and having something like this happening to it… I’ve used a lot of different material types and colours, with no pre-washing, so can't risk it getting wet, cleaned or anything.

Need to get a bit of a wriggle on with my windmill bed runner, only 3 months left to do it! God, then there's mum’s block lap quilt to do before Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment